Friday, January 19, 2007

Fresh Mex



Fresh Mex, at the corner of 5th and Keystone. sounds like a chain, but it’s not. I’ve been there a few times now and frankly, I think it’s just as good as Beto’s down the street, a place everyone raves about. So far, I’ve tried three kinds of their terrific tacos, al pastor, carnitas, and chile verde. The all come in a nice fresh tortilla and the meat is perfectly cooked, chewy, but not tough, with little pieces of fat that give it a delectable flavor. My favorite is the al pastor, which is pork marinated in various spices then roasted. Taquerias in Mexico frequently cook the meat on a vertical rotisserie similar to a Turkish doner kabab. Thin slices of meat are then carved off the roast and placed in small tacos with onions and cilantro.



On my last visit I had the enchiladas plate with one chicken and one beef. The food was nicely presented with rice, beans, salad, and a swirl of sour cream on top of the enchiladas, which were covered with a red picante sauce. The chicken enchilada was a little dry, but very flavorful; the in-house made sauce was excellent, with a very earthy taste. Its beefy cousin was outstanding, tender beef with wonderful flavor. I’m not a huge fan of sour cream on my Mexican food, but it went well with the flavors and I felt sad as I ate the last bite. The beans and rice were pretty pro-forma, but when covered with the sauce, were quite good.



All meals at Fresh Mex start with a basket of chips and a bowl of the outstanding salsa fresca. Tomato, onions, cilantro, and hot peppers, it was perfectly made, with enough bite to keep the salsa interesting. The chips are freshly made and had great taste.

The service at Fresh Mex is outstanding. Both of the women that have waited on me have been friendly and efficient, often returning to my table to see how I’m doing. The owner frequently walks among the diners also, saying hello and asking how the food it. Years ago there was a Chinese restaurant at this location where my son Matt and I used to get a lot of take-out, even though it wasn’t very good. It was followed by a place called California Burgers that also served Chinese food―not very good either. The owner of Fresh Mex tells me that people still come in asking for Chinese cuisine. What they can get instead is some of the best and most authentic Mexican food in Reno.

2 comments:

Lara K said...

Based on your review my girlfriend and I tried this restaurant recently, and were quite happy with our experience. The chicken sopes had just the right combination of chewiness and crispness. Nice to find someplace new and less hectic than Beto's for variety.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I'd never checked this place out and thought it was gone. All the other businesses have already left that strip.

I was starving after prenatal water aerobics (we're expecting twins!) and remembered your review on my way home. The chicken tostada hit the spot. Thanks for the recommendation.